While not a complete list, the following represents an outline of some of ABRC’s more important historic preservation projects.
Sleepy Hollow Restorations, Tarrytown, NY – Built a 200-foot span timber frame bridge crossing the Pocantico River at Philipsburg Manor.
Sleepy Hollow Restorations, Tarrytown, NY - Constructed a brick and cobblestone courtyard at Sunnyside (circa 1835), the former home of Washington Irving.
Lyndhurst, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Tarrytown, NY – Restored stonework at Lyndhurst (circa 1838), designed by A.J. Davis and distinguished as the finest example of Gothic Revival architecture in the U.S.
Westchester Preservation League, Ossining, NY – Rebuilt a two-story ornate Victorian-era porch at Highland Cottage, Squire House (circa 1872), offices of the Westchester Preservation League.
Scarsdale Historical Society, Scarsdale, NY – Completely restored the Cudner Hyatt House (circa 1734), the oldest house in Scarsdale, NY.
Mary Baker Eddy Foundation, Brookline, MA – Restored Longyear (circa 1892), a 100-room mansion and offices of the Church of Christian Science.
21 East 66th Street Associates, New York, NY – Restored limestone and brick at a historic building located at 66th and Madison Avenue, Manhattan, NY
Historic Hudson Valley Restorations, Tarrytown, NY – Constructed and restored masonry at Montgomery Place (circa 1804), located in Annandale on Hudson.
Blithewold Mansion and Arboretum (circa 1890), Bristol, RI – Restored carpentry and masonry on 19th century mansion and ancillary buildings.
Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow (circa 1697), Sleepy Hollow, NY – Rebuilt timber-framed octagonal tower and steeple on the oldest church in New York State, memorialized by Washington Irving in his story, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
Chesterwood, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Glendale, MA – Restored stucco and brick at Chesterwood (circa 1896), the former home of American Sculptor Daniel Chester French.
Armour Steiner House, The Octagon House (circa 1860), Irvington, NY – Restored concrete and brick on the former National Trust property claimed to be one of the largest Octagon houses in the U.S.
Fox Theatre (circa 1929), Atlanta, GA – Repointed and rebuilt exterior brick on Atlanta’s Fox Theatre. Restored brick on 140-foot tower.
Charleston County Courthouse, Charleston, SC – Set 30-foot high Ohio sandstone door surrounds, including columns, pediments and architrave.
Rathberry (circa 1899), Tuxedo Park, NY – Restored extensive brick and limestone on 18,000 square foot masonry house.
Hibernian Society of Charleston, SC – Restored historic double hung windows on a Greek revival building built in 1840 by Thomas Walter of Philadelphia. This is the only building remaining that is associated with the Democratic National Convention of 1860, which was one of the most critical political gatherings in U.S. history.
Brambleworth – Rebuilt three chimneys, repaired slate roof and preformed repointing work on an Alexander Jackson Downing design of a residence built in 1846. Brambleworth represents Gothic architecture employing stone construction for the main body of the house with elaborate brick chimneys.
Back to Historic Preservation Main Page